Folex leading in Film and Paper Coating
In the year 1860 the chemist Dr. Carl Schleussner mixed collodion with lunar caustic at Römerberg No. 18 in Frankfurt on Main and created a light-sensitive emulsion, which he then applied onto glass plates. It was with these plates Professor Röntgen could later visualise his newly discovered X-rays.
These historic photoplates were the beginning of «Adox Fotowerke Dr. Schleussner», which manufactured the first films and cameras in Germany.
In 1951 the Schleussner family founded Celfa AG in Schwyz, where film base was produced to supply Adox. At the same time Celfa also began to coat polyester films for the graphics industry. In 1957 the company Folex AG was established in Zurich to promote the sales and distribution of new products. Additional branches of Folex followed in Europe, USA and Japan.
A film converting department was built at Celfa, followed by other converting plants at our various, local sales office locations.
An additional milestone in 1989 was the acquisition of Technoplast, a coating company in Cologne, which produces materials for the graphic and membrane switch industries.
The technological advances of the 1990s were met by innovative developments of digital media and new products for the printing industry. Thus, the company has demonstrated its capacity to competitively meet market demands into the 21st century.